Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Post Script

Some additional scenes from the trip home:

Our route took us past the intersection where James Dean died. There's a Steinbeck connection to this fact: Dean's first major movie role was in Steinbeck's East of Eden, set in the Salinas Valley. Furthermore, he was driving to a sports car race in Salinas when his fatal collision happened. Here's a tribute near that intersection, outside a store selling produce, mostly nuts, from the area.


In our drive to get home I withstood the lure of "historic route 66" at various I-40 exits in CA and AZ, but we did get off at Seligman in search of ice cream. Found it at the Snow Cap Drive-in, at east end of town, in case you drop by.


The Snow Cap sense of humor is indicated by the sign for "dead chicken." On the menu the sundaes are listed as either "male or female." I bit and naively asked, "What's the difference?" "With or without nuts," was the answer. Seligman has several Route 66 themed shops that we've visited before, but this was our first visit to the Snow Cap.


Here's the scene west of Gallup, just before you cross from AZ to NM. The Gallup I-40 corridor through red sandstone cliffs is really a great welcome-back-to-NM sight. Gives me a thrill as does the I-40 entry to NM on the east side when the flat TX cropland gives way to a vast array of mesas and arroyos.

A couple of hours later, here's the ancient Laguna Pueblo. Much better pictures at the link, but I like the ancient-modern contrast of this shot.

I mentioned last time that Cedar Crest welcomed us back with an afternoon mountain shower. Well, yesterday morning, sitting on the patio enjoying a cool morning, breakfast, and newspaper, I glanced up and saw rainbows. Grabbed my camera and ran around to the front of the house and got this shot. Cedar Crest: Not the end of the rainbow, but you can see it from here.



Th-th-that's all, Folks.


Cheers,


Rob and Susie







No comments: