Monday, June 15, 2009

Carroll County Barns

Sunday evening and Monday morning I drove the country roads around here in search of barns. Here's a sampling.


Thought the John Deere trailers at either side set this one off nicely.


I espied an oblong barn that was in pretty bad shape, but not far away I saw its sturdier twin. Had to drive about a quarter-mile off the road along the edge of a corn field to get the picture, but this barn's architecture seems pretty unusual.


Most of the 'impressive' barns I saw, in size and style, were showing neglect. Guess they served their purpose so fresh paint and lumber are not being expended on their behalf. Pity. Kind of like retired statisticians. Need to get some of those historic preservationists interested in barns! Get some "bale-out" money and fix them up. I'd volunteer to swing a paintbrush.



Which reminds me of a story I meant to tell you about Butler, MO. I mentioned I painted the Cross family barn to impress Judy's father. I had to pass muster by both of her parents. When Judy said I planned to be a statistician, her mother replied, with a frown, "Well, you know what I think about statistics." No respect. We don't get no respect.

Cheers,

Rob and Susie

No comments: