Sunday, June 07, 2009

On The Road Again - Updated

Dear Family and Friends:

When last we left you, I was planning to fly to Vancouver for a conference while Susie went to Las Vegas to be with Heidi through and after her nose surgery. The last part worked, but I didn't make it to Vancouver.

An embarrassing tale: In early planning for Tuzigoot trip to Vancouver I laid out our passports where I would be sure to get them in -- not forget them. Well, got home from our May flying trip and I can't find the passports. Can't find them in my office and I know I didn't take them out. Could I have knocked them into the trash can? By the time we both give up looking, it's nearly too late to get replacements, unless we go the high-priced express route. Went to the post office and the lady there told me that as long as I return before June 1, I can enter and exit Canada using my birth certificate. So, that would work and I carefully packed that with my papers. We flew to Vegas on Monday (5/25). Tuesday I go to the airport. Nyet! Turns out you can drive or walk in to Canada using a birth cert., but you can't fly there. So, I stayed a couple more days in Vegas. That was good, 'cause I was there to drive Heidi to and from the hospital. Attending the conference would have been nice, but I wasn't on the program, so not a tragedy. Then I came home to start prepping Tuzigoot for the trip.

We've had a gorgeous spring here in Cedar Crest. Maybe it happens every year, but we've been away traveling or teaching several recent springs, so I didn't remember the sensation. Lots of wild flowers (for this part of the country - it ain't easy being a wild flower here), green grass, new growth on the trees, mild days, invigorating mornings, mountain showers. Here are a few pix:







We also have some semi-wild flowers, maybe I should call them feral. They were planted by the previous owners and have survived the neglect we've given them. When we're home I occasionally dump a bucket of shower pre-water (collected while waiting for the shower water to get hot) on them, but, hey, can't cover many flowers and shrubs with only one bucket a week.


There's daisies:


and we have a couple of real nice columbines in the yard:




and some of these:


We're headed first for Butler, MO, where Judy's sister, Jan, and husband Aubrey, live on a farm not far from the Cross family farm where Judy, Jan, and third sister, Mary, grew up. You can take the girl off the farm, but ... (Jan and Aubrey just recently moved back to Butler). Then it's on to Mt. Carroll, IL where granddaughter, Kaci, is playing the female lead in Grease! in summer theatre. We'll get there for the Sunday matinee.

From there it's on to SD, ND, MT, ID then work our way home from there. We have a a visit to Glacier NP planned, but pretty loose other than that. Want to take our time, sit a while in one spot, see the sights, not drive to another campground every day. If anybody has any must-see recommendations for that part of the good ole US of A, we'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Susie and Rob
Updated: June 8, 4:30 am. FOUND OUR PASSPORTS! Tucked away in briefcase I use to carry papers and books when we travel. Mighta known.

No comments: