Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Westward Ho - 2

South of Morgantown, Wednesday, we picked up US 50.  Going west from Clarksburg to Parkersburg, WV, we saw some of the best fall foliage of the trip.  Clear blue sky, sun behind us, the colors were really bright.  Another song sprang to mind:

The hills are alive 
with the hues of dead leaves, ...

This stretch of US 50 is a four-lane divided highway, designated as being part of the Robert A. Byrd Appalachian Highway System, or some such.  Only problem, Senator Byrd, the late King of Pork, didn't fund any scenic overlooks; we didn't want to stop on the shoulder to take a picture.  The one rest area was not very scenic.  So, here is a WV picture from the internet that faithfully captures what we saw that glorious morning.  You had to be there.


We continued on US 50 across southern Ohio.  The road started off four-laned but soon turned into two-lanes, often narrow with no shoulders and zig-zags through towns along the way.  Miss GPS didn't like it, but I managed to catch every twist and turn on my own to stick to 50 and avoid every bypass or shortcut she implored me to take. Actually, I turned  her voice off, but I watched the map and could see the frantic arrows she kept throwing up to take me around a block, or down a country lane, to get back to Her Route, which was aimed at a campground on the west side of Cincinnati..

Now the right way to enjoy America's Main Street, of course, would be to stop in the charming towns along the way, visit museums and libraries, photograph the courthouses, sample the cuisine, stroll the parks, chat with the natives, ... .  We would have done some of that if there had been any campgrounds along the way to spend the night.  But, in Ohio there weren't, at least for rigs like ours (and we're not too keen on Wal-Mart parking lots).  We're not in a big rush to get home (fortunately, because as this is written, we're in our sixth day in Marion, IL, waiting for Tuzi to be fixed), but we did need to get to a campground and our first good opportunity was a campground just west of Cincinnati. In fact, it's right on the IN/OH state line.  We had stayed here a couple of years ago when we accompanied grandson Andrew to a soccer tournament. So, we kept going until we got there.  We did enjoy seeing the towns and countryside along the way, though.  Just what you expect the Midwest to be.  Better than the freeway view.

Next day, we continued west on US50 across Indiana.  During the day I somewhat alertly sensed that Tuzi wasn't shifting gears with its usual sveltness.  Near the Illinois border we stopped and I checked the transmission fluid.  It was low, I added a couple of quarts and that seemed to smooth things out.  Subsequent fluid check was OK.  We continued on to a KOA in Benton, IL, on I-57 about 30 miles south of US50 (because still no campgrounds on US50).   

Next morning, I started the engine and a dashboard indicator lit up: NO WATER! (emphasis added).  I checked the coolant tank.  It was full of orange slime that looked like French dressing.  Hmm.  Looked to me like a mix of transmission fluid, antifreeze, and water.   (I should have noticed this the previous day when I was adding tranny fluid, but didn't.)  The KOA manager recommended a truck repair shop in Marion, about 20 miles south on I-57.  I called them.  They concurred in the diagnosis and said I, er, Tuzi, would need to be towed in.  They could get a tow truck to us about 1:00 pm.  A bit later, though, it occurred to me that I should use my AAA insurance to arrange a tow, so I changed the plan and arranged for that.  The driver arrived in early afternoon.  He very carefully hooked Tuzi up and away we went.  (We followed in the PT.)



 Please also note the fall foliage.

By the the time we got to Vernell's, in Marion, it was late afternoon, too late to get in to a repair bay and start the diagnosis and  repair process.  So, we loaded some clothes and necessities into the PT Cruiser, checked into a nearby Hampton Inn (home of waffle-makers; incidentally, just what Susie had given me for my recent birthday), and settled in for the weekend.  Too late we realized that we could have stayed in the KOA for the weekend and scheduled the tow for Monday.  I think, though, that that would have delayed the diagnosis until Tuesday and used a valuable day.

Saturday, though, we drove back to Benton, in search of a fall festival.  What we found was a FallFest lunch at the First Christian Church - sloppy joes or chicken and dumplings.  Apple pie and million-dollar pie for dessert.  (We were looking for a car show, music, etc., but that fallfest turned out to be in another town.)  Had a nice visit with a church couple - she recently retired from teaching math for teachers at Southern Illinois University, located in Carbondale, about 15 miles west of Marion, and he a retired carpenter/builder.

Sunday we went to the local Methodist Church.  Big building, small, aging congregation, as is often the case.  We visited with a friendly couple; he was born near Roy, NM and still has family there.  He and his immediate family left there when he was pre-school age.

 
Preacher preached on Evil and Satan, a topic not often preached these days.  No matter how you characterize it, there is evil in the world and in our lives and we have to resist it, was the theme.  Was timely topic for me because I had just finished our book club's October selection, No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy.  You may have read it or have seen the movie.  I haven't seen the movie, but plan to.  Anyhow, McCarthy, in the three or four books of his that I have read, deals very much with Good and Evil, epitomized by some really abhorrent, evil characters.  I think he's trying to tell us that there's more evil out there than we think or may want to think.

Which reminds me: one evening early in the week we were driving to Kroger's.  At a stoplight, the PT died.  I tried to restart.  Nothing.  We were in left turn lane.  I jumped out to tell the driver behind me our car had died.  Got back in, cranked again.  Nothing.  Oh, no, I'm telling myself.  What else can go wrong?  Susie said, pump it and try again.  Don't let up.  Miracle!  It started.  No troubles since then.  It's really been a faithful companion.

Monday they diagnosed Tuzi's problem.  There's a box where a transmission fluid line is routed through a chamber in the engine coolant's system in order to cool the transmission fluid.  Leak was in there, leading to the aforementioned mingling of vital fluids.  The mechanic said something about baffles that baffled me.  The box is no longer made by Freightliner, so Vernell's had to find an after-market product.  Some modifications were required to make it work.  The part was found and shipped and arrived in Marion on Wednesday.  Thursday and part of Friday were consumed in installing the part, draining and flushing all the lines etc., and refilling fluids.  We have the impression that they're juggling our job with others -- commercial semis -- but that's understandable. 

Back to the Marion scene.  We've got all the restaurant chains nearby: Applebee's, Steak 'n Shake, Bob Evans, others, and we're only a mile from Cracker Barrel, so that's handy.  Plus, the Hampton Inn puts out a substantial breakfast, and I've added the substance to prove it. I have added morning walks to the agenda, though. We're near Marion's mall, flanked by Wal-Mart and Target, and a movie house; one evening we saw Argo and thought it was a very good show. Marion is two towns.  Old Marion, on the east side of I-57
has old downtown, the clock tower square, etc. - a pretty quiet place.  New Marion, west of I-57 has the motel and restaurant chains, mall, and big box stores, minor league baseball park, and new residential areas. 

We've made a few drives around the area -- lots of lakes -- checked out a few antique stores.  Drove to Carbondale and around the SIU campus.  When Susie and Manny were in the Job Corps at a training center in nearby Kentucky, SIU was also involved.  Susie had a chance to enter an SIU PhD program,  took three classes and then she and Manny left Kentucky to do further work with the War on Poverty Programs which included 18 moves in 10 years.  She had to settle on taking courses along the way to add 45 hours beyond her MA which helped boost her salary over the years.   

I'm updating my notes for a class that starts at Sandia Nov. 5, so some forced down time has helped in that work.

(As noted above, to really get the Midwest feel you need to immerse yourself in the life of a typical small town.  Well, we did that in Marion.  Not that big a deal.)

Incidentally, one area lake is Lake of Egypt and we drove around some of that and saw a Queen Tut's hair salon near there.  After all, we are just up the Nile River from Cairo.

A representative lake picture:


This coal-fired power plant is on Lake of Egypt.  They've got signs up noting that they're the biggest employer and taxpayer in the county and that they're doing a good job of cleaning the mercury out of the process discharge.


Saw a sign on one of our drives saying, President Obama, Please don't close our coal plant; we need  the jobs. 

I thought this would be a good area for barns, but didn't come across any outstanding ones, or even mildly photogenic.  There aren't many barns and those that I've seen have been deteriorated, like this noble old fellow.


So, to brighten my day, I found a couple of internet shots of Illinois barns.



And, back by popular demand, I'll insert a recent picture of the grandtwins, Julian and Landon.


A day at the park.

Bummer.  Thursday noon.  Shop says we won't be ready to go until tomorrow.  Replacement part is in.  They have to flush and fill transmission and coolant.  Maybe more than once.  May get it done late this afternoon.  Susie said, I've got cabin fever.  Take me to the mall.  You can work on your class notes.  So I'd better get started now instead of blogging.

Update. Tuzi ready Friday around noon.  ONE WEEK AFTER WE GOT HERE!  Should get home Monday.  We're more than ready. 

We'll be in touch.

Rob and Susie.  

Update.  We left Marion about 3:00pm and did indeed get home on Monday - late morning.  Our campgrounds were in Poplar Bluff, MO; Claremore, OK; and Amarillo, TX.  I got up Monday at around 530; Susie was up already, so we decided to hit the road before sunrise. 

Trip Statistics: Five weeks, 4900 miles on Tuzi.  Family, Friends, Foliage - priceless. 

Once again, Thanks to all those who sent me birthday greetings and memories.  There were several more waiting for me when we got home.  I'm going to read them all again. Rob

No comments: