Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Great Falls Wrap

Saturday (6/27) morning I got up early and drove about 15 miles east of town to see the Great Falls - the first and largest falls in the series that L&C had to bypass. Here's a shot of the river/lake in Great Falls as I left town.


A couple of wheat farm scenes on the way:



As you can see it's partly cloudy. My hope was to get pictures of the falls with the rising sun on them. I got to the falls about 630 am, the valley floor still in shadow. Worse, the gate to the bridge to the island in front of the falls where a viewing platform had been erected was locked. Sign said it would be open sun-up to sun-rise, but 8am to 9pm had been taped to the sign. I didn't want to wait until eight. Fortunately, either because it was the actual schedule, or because the site security guy saw me, he showed up and opened the gate just as I had about decided to leave.


Here I am killing time waiting for the sun to peek over the ridge.


As you can see the original falls have been topped off by a hydroelectric dam.

Here's Lewis's description of first coming upon the Great Falls. Hope you can read it.


The falls were about 90 ft. in height, which is about half that of the Niagara Falls.


The clouds seemed to be thickening, but for one brief moment the sun peeked through. You can just barely see rainbow colors in the spray in this picture.


I called it a success and went back to town for our busy Saturday.


Monday morning we left Great Falls, bound for Glacier National Park. Here's one last shot looking out from the KOA campground.


Cheers,


Susie and Rob

No comments: