Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Lewis and Clark Float Trip

When we got to the L&C Interpretive Center on Friday and saw the brochure for the weekend, I saw that two float trips were listed - an all-day trip Saturday and a half-day trip on Sunday. A historian would be on the trip and talk about various L&C sites and events along the way. As you can probably tell, the river intrigues me, so I decided to see if I could still sign up - seating is limited. Saturday was full, but Sunday was available. We had planned to leave Sunday, but decided to stay an extra day so I could take the float trip.


The put-in point was about 40 miles southwest of Great Falls, which is upriver. There were 32 in our party, on three pontoon boats.

This was a smooth-flowing, quite scenic stretch on the river, no rapids. Most of the time the three boats were close enough that we could all hear the guide talking over a portable speaker system.



The guide said Gary Cooper once had a place along here, maybe this place or nearby, I couldn't quite hear the explanation.


This bridge was a scene in the movie, The Untouchables (which I thought was all about Chicago). In the movie, Canada was on the left, the US on the right. Anybody recognize this?

At one point some young folks were jumping off a high spot on the bank. You mercifully can't see it, but one young gentleman mooned us as we drifted by. This wasn't just a flash. He posed during our whole transit. That really cracked us up.

In the van coming home I sat next to a couple from Great Falls. He was a retired school teacher, now running a landscaping business; she is a nurse. A very outdoorsy couple. Anyhow, I got lots of advice on what to see and where to go and where to eat as we continue our Montana sojourn.

Cheers,
Rob and Susie

No comments: